Kansas City Urban Farms and Gardens Tour
Mark the dates:
Pre/Post-Tour Events June 18-29
Tour Sunday, June 28 2009 – 10AM-5PM*
(take a flying, virtual tour – 25MB .WMV download
or pick your tour sites and setup your own tour route**)
* updated 4/12/2009
**Instructions are in the works… cut-n-paste works.
The 3rd Urban Farms and Gardens Tour has grown! Ten days of events (June 18-27) focus on urban food production. 34 farms and gardens open their gates for the tour on Sunday June 28.
- Thursday, June 18 6-8PM—Food From the City…For the City — KCMO Central Library— panel of urban farmers and gardeners highlight the variety of ways people grow food in the KC metro.
- Saturday, June 20 – Mini Market Tours @ Farmers’ Markets June 21
- Tuesday, June 23 – Urban Foods Film Shorts @ All Souls UU Church
- Wednesday June 24 – Eat Out Local Night.
- Friday, June 26 – Urban Homesteading Class @ Bad Seed Market
- Saturday, June 27 – Mini Market Tours @ Farmers’ Markets
- Other planned events: Harvest Meal – Bread of Life Church, Children and Youth Programs at area libraries, Starting an Urban Farm Class, Starting Community Gardens Class, Architecture & Urban Agriculture & Planning Program
Tour of 34 urban farms & gardens on Sunday, June 28, 10am-5pm. Shawnee, KS, to Independence, MO, from north and south of the river and many points in between will welcome visitors to tour and learn about the variety of ways people are producing food in the city, such as:
- URBAN FARMS…FEED THE PEOPLE – farms that produce food for income by selling at farmers’ markets or food subscriptions
- EDUCATIONAL & CHARITABLE GARDENS….SOW THE SEED – farms that teach youth and adults how to grow their own food and/or grow food for food pantries
- COMMUNITY GARDENS…GROW THE NEIGHBORHOOD– gardens for the surrounding neighborhood
- HOME GARDENS AND URBAN HOMESTEADS…FEED THE FAMILY – featuring a continuum of ways people are growing food